Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Induction Day

Let me fill you in on the realities of having a scheduled induction. Mine was scheduled for today so I called last night to confirm. They told me to call at 7 am to make sure there weren't already too many people in labor but to be ready to go at 7. Also nothing but clear liquids after midnight and nothing after 5. So I said "Okay! Thanks! Bye." Then an hour later it dawned on me. NOTHING TO EAT AFTER MIDNIGHT! And my response was okay, thanks!??? What I should have said was are you insane?? I am not coming in to lay on a table, go to sleep and wake up an hour later without my appendix! I will be pushing a human being out of my body! That might require some energy. Not something I really want to do when I am starving. Anyone who has had a baby knows you get ice chips while you are in labor and you are ravenous after it's over. When I was induced with Jack, it was not planned and I was grateful I had decided to have a big breakfast that morning. And it was still over 12 hours before I had something to eat again. I realize there is always the possibility of a c-section and that's likely why they tell you not to eat but you would be laboring for hours before an unplanned c-section......plenty of time to digest. So the request not to eat seems rather insane to me. I didn't sleep that well and woke up starving at 3:30. So I cheated and had a banana. I called the hospital at 7 and was told it was too crazy and to call back at 8:30. So we wait.......................

No comments: