Saturday, May 24, 2008

Why we don't go to the movies anymore




So for my birthday yesterday we went to see the new Indiana Jones movie. The movie was awesome. The people at the movie were not. We went to an early matinee and had our pick of seats. Dead center, 5 or 6 rows up. The theater slowly began to fill up and just before the previews started, a group of 9 or 10 kids and maybe 3 adults sat right behind us. 'It will be fine' I thought, 'the movie will be loud', I thought, 'loud enough to mask any comments that don't quite come out as a whisper.' I was wrong. There's a reason stereotypes exist. These kids are the reason stereotypes about kids in movie theaters exist. During the previews the kid behind me kicked the back of my chair 5 or 6 times. I moved to the other side of Tim and thought, 'well, at least they're quiet.' Oops, spoke too soon. They were not quiet. They were rather loud. I thought, 'surely the mother will tell them they have to be quiet, that's her job.' Wrong again. Instead she joined in, as though they were sitting in their own living room. Kid: "Whoah, is that guy asleep!" Mom: "No, he's knocked out." Kid: "What about Indiana Jones?" These people are the reason they have to tell you at the beginning of the movie to BE QUIET!!! Apparently it's not enough. And it's why we don't go to the movies much anymore. After 15 minutes of non-stop talking we moved to the front of the theater and enjoyed the rest of the movie.

2 comments:

T&K Hardman said...

That sucks! I hope people don't think that about my kids when we go out I try to teach them how to behave in public. It was so good to have lunch with you I miss seeing you, we will have to make it a monthly routine. Oh and Happy Birthday little lady! I hope it was a good one besides the annoying kids and mom. haha

Jess said...

I hate it when people bring their babies to the movies.. I arrange for a babysitter so that I can sit and enjoy a quiet show WITHOUT a crying baby. I had the kid behind me kicking my seat through all of Narnia last week. Its just so much fun.. If I'm paying that much for a ticket to see a show, I want to atleast be able to enjoy it!

Happy Birthday!