Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Let the kids drive!

Ok, he had me up until "Let your kid drive your car". HUH?? I agree with the point of this video. Kids are overprotected these days. It impedes their natural sense of curiosity, their desire to learn. (The decal on the lid of plastic storage bins warning you not to let your child climb inside and close the lid made me laugh out loud the first time I saw it. It's called common sense people!! ) So, of course it's beneficial to teach your child about the properties of fire, how to use a knife safely, how to throw something. But let them drive your car!!!! I don't think so! Not until they are of legal age and I am all for increasing that age to 18! Or at least having stricter laws about kids and cell phones. So call me crazy but I won't be letting Jackson drive my car while he can still order off the children's menu!

Thanks for the heads up on the video Kellie!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Okay, maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but NO WAY ARE MY KIDS DOING THESE CRAZY THINGS!!!!!
Thanks for sharing!

Vigoren Family said...

I'm glad you liked it! I think there's a lot of truth in what he's saying, but definitely with caution! I will admit, I let Isaac "drive" my car down our street today. He only had control of the steering wheel (of course) and LOVED IT! We live on an extremely residential street and he was sitting on my lap. That's kind of how he was talking with younger ones. I think he's talking about kids who are older. Who knows? Maybe he is overboard, but it gave me some good things to think about. KC LOVED IT! Husbands need validation and this did it for him! :)

Vigoren Family said...

Oh yeah, KC was 6 when he got his first pocket knife. He could totally relate to this. I haven't seen him smile as much as he did during that section. Funny.

Erin said...

Yeah, right! Call me overprotective, but "deconstructing appliances" was the only thing that I would let a child do...unplugged, of course. This guy must be talking about much older children...who have tons of supervision...and smart parents...and amazing health insurance. You know all of those warning labels are to prevent lawsuits from stupid parents. As for driving the car, I remember you and Todd sitting on dad's lap "driving" down the street to our house. You guys loved it! (I don't remember driving, though. Maybe I was protecting me from myself.) Anyway, that guy is a little too crazy for me.

Amy said...

yep-we did sit on dad's lap and drive. I've gotten prudish in my old age. I guess I just think it's really important to emphasize responsibility when it comes to cars and kids. Too many kids take driving with a grain of salt and don't realize how dangerous cars can be.